When we are looking for a new rug, we are literally bombarded with choices. We have many options available when it comes to colour, size, shape, and even material. Some of us will opt to buy a rug made from wool as a material because of its well known outstanding benefits, but it’s easy for us to overlook another great material choice: acrylic. Rugs made out of acrylic may come in second place after wool rugs, but they still offer many benefits, and are a great rug for many people’s homes. Now if you are interested in learning about some of the key benefits of acrylic rugs then read on…
General Buying Advice
- In most, if not all cases, acrylics are significantly cheaper to purchase than their wool counterparts. This is because pure wool is a quite valuable material, and can become pricey because of its popularity, usefulness and increasing costs associated with farming. Hint – If you’re looking to save money, an acrylic rug is probably the better option for you at this point in time.
- Usually acrylic can be washed, and even dried (always read the label or call us on 01332 294787 for advice first). This provides for an easy clean up in the case of spills and other messes, and can be much more convenient than wool.
- For most of us, acrylic is an allergy friendly material, whereas wool isn’t. If you or someone in your home has known allergies or sensitivities to certain fabrics and materials, purchasing an acrylic made rug can be a wise option.
- Acrylics are easy to store for an extended period of time, if this is needed. Unlike some other materials, acrylic will not attract moths, so no extra preparation is really needed to store your rug.
While it’s easy to talk about the benefits of acrylic rugs it is a little difficult to find genuine drawbacks because there are very few. Obviously, acrylics have to have some downsides to them too, otherwise they would be more popular than wool, especially with their lower price tag. Acrylic material can have some problems, such as pilling due to age, and increased static electricity, which can become annoying to some although this doesn’t tend to happen often. Even with these minor drawbacks, an acrylic crafted rug can be a great option for you, especially if you are on a limited budget. After all, while I can’t really say these rugs may not last quite as long as some others, such as wool, what I can say is they are:
1. Easily cleanable / Easy to maintain
2. Allergy friendly
3. Easy to keep in storage
4. Moth proof
5. Cost effective
With all these benefits, it’s no wonder that rugs made of acrylic are gaining in popularity. Interested in purchasing one? Check out our great selection at www.landofrugs.co.uk of both acrylic and wool rugs. No matter which material you choose, we have something that’s right for you.